Friday, May 18, 2007

thoughts on living... and dying

9:35 PM

A friend told me about a documentary she watched that was filmed here
in Japan, about a young woman who had advanced cancer that had spread
through her body. Her family was told that she had one month to live,
but they chose not to let her know. They simply couldn't bear to. They
decided to celebrate her and her partner in a mock-wedding: dress,
hair, makeup, dancing and all- in a fancy hotel. The documentary
showed all of the family members balling their eyes out at the
ceremony, as they knew how close the end was. Her condition quickly
deteriorated and she passed away a few weeks later.

My mouth hung wide-open as Azusa recounted this story to me. We were
eating dinner, and I practically lost my appetite. I found it
absolutely insane that that girl was not told that she had a month to
live. If it was known that I only had a month to live, I would want to
be the first to know. Actually, I'd probably rather keep it from other
people around me, but if someone were to know, it would damn well be
me that ought to before anyone else.

I suppose this illustrates something interesting that occurs in Japan,
that of protecting your loved ones by assuming the family pressures as
a group, and attempting to protect your loved ones as much as
possible, even if that means witholding what would seem to be very
important information.

From there, the discussion progressed to our own lives and to what we
would all do if we knew today that we had one month to live. All three
of us had very different versions. Mine was that if I found out today,
I would be on a plane tomorrow to Canada, with my passport, all my
money and whatever really mattered. Everything else I would just
leave. And I would spend the rest of my time with my family and loved
ones. And that's all. Azusa, having a child and also with baby number
two on the way, had a different story. So did Kazumi. But for all of
us, it was about tying up loose ends, coming to peace, taking care of
our loved ones, and saying everything that had to be said.

View comments: 0 | Click to comment |

MONTHLY ARCHIVES:

July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
October 2007
May 2008
February 2009
August 2009
September 2010